- Cheap discard spell that can hit a LOT of cards (Siege Rhino, every planeswalker current and spoiled, Eldrazi, All wrath effects both major and minor, Dig Through Time, every Dragon, Treasure Cruise, Tasigur, etc.)
- Doesn’t require the caster to lose additional life (as compared to something like Thoughtseize).
- Exiles the card, which is good for Eldrazi and bad for your opponent.
- No restriction on card type, only mana cost.
- Costs 2 mana (and this is a pretty big negative).
- Sorcery speed (though this is to be expected).
- Still requires black mana despite being “colorless”
- Less versatile than previous 1-CMC Duress-style effects, despite costing more.
I expect this card will replace Thoughtseize in a fair number of decks. Standard will likely be slowing down a bit come rotation (save the inevitable mono-red aggro deck that rolls people for the first week or two) as we lose some of the more powerful cheap creatures (Fleecemane Lion, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Goblin Rabblemaster, etc.).
We still haven’t seen enough of the Ingest mechanic to know how good it will be, but it’s possible that cards like this will set up cards like Ulagmog’s Nullifier to form the core of a strong Eldrazi control deck.
Its utility is limited outside of Standard, as in every older format there are better discard spells that cost less. This card won’t reach anywhere near Inquisition of Kozilek prices, but if you’re trying to even out a trade or you have anyone who just trades uncommons for uncommons this would be a good one to pick up.