Hi everyone! We have just had our first weekend of tournament results with Theros added to the mix and Innistrad/M13 kicked out of Standard. This article is only one of a million things I have to do this week before I move so I am going to jump right into my thoughts for the week.
1) They sure did paint the town Red this weekend in Worcester, didn't they? Mono-Red won the whole tournament, but I think the more interesting point was Owen Turtenwald also playing Mono-Red. We have to be aware that he is testing for a Pro Tour and is unlikely to play any of his team's real decks, but he had the option of going with the "known" quantities UW or Mono-White, but choose Mono-Red instead.
2) The second thing we can take away from the Mono-Red lists from the T8 and most of the T16 is that very few played Boros Reckoner. Boros Reckoner was seen more in the G/R type decks and not the aggressive Red decks like previously. The combinations of Firefist Striker and Goblin Shortcutter help negate the opponent's Boros Reckoner, especially in the mirror match. I feel like there was a lot less Reckoner in the top decks than was expected. Maybe Boros Reckoner won't have the huge surge that everyone is expecting, I know I haven't been aggressively buying in.
3) The card that WAS all over the T8 was Jace, Architect of Thought. Jace experienced a late week surge in price around 15%, and according to Twitter today, saw another jump up to the low $20s. I have been telling people to buy-in aggressively and this is why. Another solid week of results for Jace and I think we could see $30+ before the Pro Tour. I would want to sell before the Pro Tour if the results are excellent in Cleveland. If they are not, I think waiting for after the Pro Tour is the right play.
4)Thoughtseize saw some sideboard play in the Esper decks in the T8. I think this is where we are going to see Thoughtseize hang out for the time being. The format is just far too aggressive to make [cardThoughtseize[/card] a maindeck card. If there is a spike to be had with this card, it will have to be around Modern season and unlikely during Standard unless a drastic change in the metagame occurs.
5) Last card I want to touch on this week is Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver. A lot of people wrote this card off at the beginning as being mostly unplayable, but if you remember to my article a couple weeks ago, I recommended getting on board with it. It has gone up nearly 66% over the weekend from $15 to $25.
6) Last of the main archetypes in the T8 were the G/R and Naya aggressive decks. Both used Domri (sound familiar to those who follow me on twitter?) and Chandra with Xenagos nowhere to be found. Ruric Thar, the Unbowed is potentially a great pick up in the short term. It saw sideboard play in both decks and if the metagame continues to be balanced by Mono-Red on one end and Control on the other, Ruric Thar, the Unbowed is in a great place to see some gains.
7) Some cards that didn't see play that everyone was hyping was the God Cards and Voice of Resurgence. Either the metagame won't allow something like Voice of Resurgence to dominate like it did previously, or not enough time to brew with like the God Cards. I would keep an eye out for any metagame shifts to see if any of these cards can sneak into the T8 in the future.
That is it for me this week. I have to go prepare for interview 1 of 2 this week and get ready to move at the end of the week. I will be able to check comments throughout the week so let me know if I missed anything or if you just liked it! Thanks!